Wednesday, April 2, 2014

Cleaning My Act Up - Cleansers, Spring 2014 Edition

Since my winter cleansing write-up, I've continued trying new cleansers to find a product with the right balance of cleansing power and benefits for the skin. 

(1) My sister gave me a bottle of DDF's Brightening Cleaner, which I used both with and without my Clarisonic for several weeks. 


Without the Clarisonic, it didn't seem super effective, but with the Clarisonic, I was much more pleased. It's a clear gel that doesn't foam much at all. After using, my skin was clean, and, yes, actually a bit brighter. I don't know if it's powerful enough to lighten dark spots or correct any discoloration (as it claims to do), but it definitely left my skin looking bright and awake. At $39, it's not a bad price, but Sephora doesn't carry the brand anymore, so you have to buy from BirchBox or Amazon, or DDF directly. 

(2) When Dior came out with the new DiorSnow White Reveal Melt-Away cleansing balm, I was excited to try it, since cleansing balms seem to be all the rage. 


It is super creamy, and you massage it into skin to break down makeup, then wipe off the excess. I was admittedly a little disappointed. It may be great for just a makeup remover, but not as a full cleanser. Can't use it with the Clarisonic, and at $50 I'd rather have an actual cleanser. 

(3) I moved on to Dior's (also fairly new) Instant Gentle Cleansing Oil


Cleansing oil? Seems counterproductive, right? Nope! This stuff is lovely. It's a silky mid-weight oil, and you rub it into your face to let it melt away makeup and dirt. After massaging it in, you rinse your face, and it becomes a tiny bit foamy/lathery. Not really for use with the Clarisonic either, but I didn't really need it - this took off all my makeup and left me really clean, without feeling dry or tight at all. For winter or people with drier skin, definitely a win at $36! 

(4) My last Dior cleanser test was the DiorSnow White Reveal Gentle Purifying Foam


The DiorSnow line is formulated for brightening skin, and so far I mega-love this cleanser. It's perfection with the Clarisonic! Texture is super creamy, and with whatever, foams up beautifully. Unlike the case with some foaming cleansers, my skin doesn't feel the least bit dry or tight after rinsing. Lovely balance of clean and comfy! The tube is $45, but it's pretty large and lasts quite a while. Possible new favorite? 

(5) Birchbox sent me a couple of samples of the NUXE Reve de Miel cleanser, which I've been trying this week. 


I am torn on this product - it seems to do the job of cleansing my skin, but it doesn't remove eye makeup well, and I do not enjoy the smell.  It's made with honey and sunflower extract to leave skin soft after cleansing, but the smell is SO sweet - it's a bit cloying. Then again, the bottle is only $19, so it's on the cheaper end of French products. Overall, not BAD, but not great, either.  


(6) Last, but not least, I picked up a deluxe sample of Murad's Essential-C Cleanser after a recent facial.


This cleanser is made with a lot of antioxidants to cleanse and re-hydrate skin.  It has a fresh citrus scent.  It doesn't foam much, but it does the job.  Another mid-price ($36) cleanser that works, but didn't amaze me.


After all of the recent weeks of testing, my FAVORITES are:
DiorSnow White Reveal Gentle Purifying Foam
-and-
Philosophy's Purity Made Simple


No comments:

Post a Comment