Thursday, January 23, 2014

Facial Moisturizers: 2014 Winter Edition

I've been on a mission to evaluate moisturizers lately - since it's something we should all be wearing every day AND there are thousands of options on the market.  It's taken me a couple of months to try all of these.

So, let's get right to it...

1. Boscia, Self Defense Vital Antioxidant Moisture, with broad spectrum SPF 30 (for combination skin types)



Two words that describe my reaction to this: not moved.  Or, one word: meh.  If you're looking for a basic protective moisturizer with UVA/UVB protection, this isn't bad.  It's lower to mid-priced, at $36. Other than that, there's not a lot that's special about it.  It doesn't feel particularly great, i.e. it feels like any drugstore-brand moisturizer.  The SPF is nice, and Boscia's products are more on the natural side, but I am not driven to buy this again.


2. Dior, Capture Total Multi-Perfection Emulsion
If you're willing to pay bigger bucks for your moisturizer and your skin isn't dry, this is a great one.  It's pricey at $145, but the bottle is enormous.  I've been using it for months and am not even halfway through the bottle.  It's VERY lightweight, almost a liquid, but the moisture quality is lovely.  The best thing about this product is that it's a total anti-aging product as well - helps with wrinkles, firmness, uneven skin tone, pore size, etc.  Even if I didn't work with Dior, I'd use this.  The only drawback is that it doesn't have SPF in it, you need to use another sunscreen.


3. Dior, Capture Totale Multi-Perfection Creme
 
This is the creme version of #2, for all the same benefits, plus some extra plumping and moisture for drier skin. Also, fabulous.  Absorbs and makes your skin silky smooth and very much improved after a couple of weeks of use.  


4. Murad Illuminating Day Moisture, SPF 30
 
I was very pleasantly surprised by this one. I have tried Murad products over the years and never loved any, but this one I actually might purchase during summer when I am in the sun more.  It's an "illuminating" moisturizer, so it's made to brighten the skin while moisturizing and protecting it.  The SPF is UVA and UVB protection.  Sometimes products with sunscreen tend to make me oily, but this one goes on smooth and creamy, and almost has a matte finish. It lasted throughout the day.  No major scent to speak of. Overall, good experience.


5. Chanel Le Lift, Creme Fine


I was pretty excited to try Chanel's new line of skin treatment, the Le Lift cremes.  They are made to be used night and day (no need for two separate products), and they have a version for oily skin, normal skin, and dry skin.  I used it for about a week and have mixed feelings.  It is made to tone and firm the skin, and I think it probably delivers on those.  It smells and feels lovely. It runs $165, which is only $15 more than the Dior equivalent, but the Dior felt better on my face.


6. Josie Maran, Pure Argan Oil Light


Another pleasant surprise. I love Argan oil - it's amazing on the body.  Jose Maran came out with this lighter version of the oil for the face, and it's a great addition to the line.  It's (duh) lighter in texture and has a more matte finish on the face.  It hydrates and makes the skin calmer, more even-toned, and generally better textured.  At $48, it's super affordable, and something I'd consider using in the future.  The only small drawback is that it doesn't contain specific anti-aging ingredients, but it still improves the skin.


7. Algenist Regenerative Anti-Aging Moisturizer, SPF 20


Despite this product looking perfect on paper (moisture, SPF, anti-again, good ratings), I was completely underwhelmed when I tried it.  I didn't love the texture, or the way it wore - my skin did not keep looking nice throughout the day. I can't say it's a bad product, but it wasn't effective for me, especially at the $90 price point.


8. NUDE Skincare, Cellular Renewal Moisturizer


Basically, see the notes on #7 above. I wasn't wowed, which was disappointing, because I love NUDE's Pro-Genius oil! Boooooooo.


9.  Ole Henriksen, Pure Truth Vitamin C Youth-Activating Oil

Bit of a long name on this one, and at first I wasn't sure if it was a moisturizing oil or a treatment oil. After using it, I think it falls into both categories, but definitely takes the place of another moisturizer, so I've included it here. This is made with pure rose hips seed oil, making it a bit more natural than some options. It smells citrusy, is a very thin oil, and when I first put it on, looked a tad orange-tinted.  But as it absorbed into the skin, the color and texture became normal and quite nice.  It's brightening, hydrating, and high in vitamins A and C. Also affordable at $45.  Pretty good product.


10. SK-II Essential Power Moisturizing Cream


I have to be honest - the SK-II is really great, but at $205, I am not likely to buy in the future.  I received a gift of this that lasted me about 3 weeks. It's solid product, but not different enough from the Dior line to convince me to spend $50 more.  Sure, I want to look like Cate Blanchett and Kate Bosworth, but $205...it's not cheap. (Although SK-II's toner is the best and worth every penny. But that's another post.)


11.  SHISEIDO IBUKI Refining Moisturizer

This is made to make the skin more even in tone and texture, but it was a bit too sticky for me. It's possible that I just don't need the evening as much as other benefits, but I wasn't sold.  Decent price, but not my favorite.


After all the trials, I am more likely to use the Dior and Murad options going forward...they are, for me, the best mix of benefits and price. 

Stay moisturized, ladies!

 


No comments:

Post a Comment