Sunday, January 4, 2015

Happy New Year: 15 for 2015

While I've already written about a plethora of products that I enjoyed this past year, I've been lucky enough to try quite a few others that haven't made it to the blog just yet.  Some I loved, some...not so much.  Quick thoughts on those below...here are 15 products for 2015!

1. Bobbi Brown Skin Foundation 
In a word...nope. Not for me, anyway.  This foundation was watery, looked yellow on me (either the tones are very yellow or it oxidizes weirdly), and didn't do anything for my skin.   


2. Bobbi Brown Long-Wear Even Finish Foundation
In another word...still, nope. Still yellowy. This one is thicker and more long-wear, and I did like the finish better than the first, but it was still not flattering.


3. Chanel Perfection Lumiere Long-Wear Foundation
My girl at our Chanel counter (Meray) was sweet enough to do my makeup for our holiday photos, and she used this foundation.  I've tried it a couple of times now and it's pretty spot on.  My only (small) issue is that I seem to be between two colors, but that's my problem.  The foundation itself is great. Good coverage, long wear. Highly recommend. $57


4. Chanel Stylo Yeux Waterproof Eyeliner & Les 4 Ombres Eyeshadow Quad

I love Chanel's eye makeup overall.  This liner goes on smoothly and stays on, and comes in great shades.  The eye shadows come in gorgeous in-style shades with lots of pigment - they also stay on, especially with a good eye primer.  I had some people ask how to get the eyes I had on in my holiday photos..well, these are how.  Liner $32, shadow quads $61


5. Chanel Lotion Douceur Toner - Balance + Anti Pollution
Everyone knows I adore a good toner, and this one is pretty excellent.  I can wash my face at night really well, wake up in the morning and use this, and it still brings off dead skin and other buildup from products.  It doesn't feel astringent at all; it's very gentle. Definitely recommend...and the bottle is really big. $45


6. Clarins Instant Smooth Perfecting Touch Primer
When I ran out of primer, I decided to give this one a whirl. It fills in fine lines and pores for a very smooth, perfected look, and it does help my foundation last longer.  Some other primers offer a bit more benefit, like anti-aging, sun protection, or color correction, so I can't say this is the BEST primer, but at $35, it's really affordable and worth the cost.


7. Clarisonic Brush Head Collection
I am already obsessed with the Clarisonic (refer to earlier blog post), and was excited to learn that changing the brush head type actually makes a pretty big difference.  I decided to go with the deep pore cleansing brush, and was a little skeptical about it feeling very different - and I was happily proven wrong.  Brushes are $27 to $30; they recommend changing every 3 months, but they really last at least 6 months for me. Brushes are available for sensitive skin, delicate cleansing, radiance, deep pore, and acne.


8. Estee Lauder Invisible Fluid Makeup
Mixed feelings on this - great if you want a little coverage/evening, but prefer the "no makeup" look and feel.  Very sheer and fairly invisible.  I personally like a hair more coverage, but if you're into this look/feel, it's a good product. $37


9. Estee Lauder Double Wear Stay-in-Place Powder
I have to buy powder once every 2 years (maybe), and this time around, I went with Double Wear.  Goes on smooth, doesn't dry out, stays on.  That's what most of us need from a powder compact, right?  DW is enough coverage to be worn alone if you prefer, as well...but I use only a tad for touch ups. $40


10. Origins Checks & Balances Frothy Face Wash


While I am not super picky about cleansers, I prefer not to use drugstore brands (too harsh or drying), and I like something that smells fresh, works well in hands or with the Clarisonic, and cleans everything off my face! This cleanser fits the bill, and since Origins is all natural, I feel good about using it.  It helps balance combination skin.  It's also great for men, dissolving dirt and oil without a feminine scent. $21.50


11. Origins Clear Improvement Active Charcoal Mask
I knew this mask had a bit of a cult following, and now I know why.  The Origins description really says it best:  When environmental toxins, dirt and debris get under your skin, its waste-filtering system gets jammed, pores get clogged, skin looks cloudy. Nature’s complexion clean-up crew gets to the bottom of skins overcast condition and clears the way for it to act its best. Activated Charcoal acts like a magnet to draw out deep-dwelling pore-cloggers, White China Clay absorbs environmental toxins, Lecithin dissolves impurities. Without all that “stuff” down there, skin “breathes a sigh of relief.” And...it works.  I use it once a week and have noticed a marked difference. In fact, I think I'll use it today. $25


12.  Origins Modern Friction Nature's Microdermabrasion
Another product with a big following...and I'm a fan. Again, I love the Origins info:
Here’s age-smoothing exfoliation without irritation. Skin-refining Rice Starch, cushioned in cream, shows real affinity for rapidly removing sluggish cells, uneven patches and signs of skin damage and discolorations. Lemon Oil kick starts the process of illumination. Another age-sweeping action: skin-menacing molecules are mopped up. All while Aloe keeps skin calm and comfy. There’s no ouch, extra steps or other complications. No redness or flaking follows. Signs of fine lines and size of pores appear to shrink in size. Skin looks polished, smooth and luminous. And the perk-me-up aromas of Bergamot and Peppermint help you look on the bright side. Best for all skin types.  Couldn't have said it better.  It lives in my shower now. $39.50



13. Origins High Potency Night-a-Mins 
While this night cream isn't quite as moisturizing as some heavier options, it does moisturize - but it really brightens, I notice a difference in the morning.  It's most definitely like a vitamin dose for your face. Put dullness to rest. Wake up radiant & refreshed. Now nature's famed night cream is fortified with a system of time-released resurfacers plus Vitamins C, E & H, minerals & moisture-rich replenishers. While relaxing aromas lull you to sleep, skin sloughs away dry, dead layers. Deletes dullness. 98% of those who tested it agreed-skin was renewed and refreshed in the AM. Helps the slumber deprived wake up on the bright side of the bed. $41


14.  Origins Blade Runner Energizing Shave Cream
 
For the men out there, Origins makes a cream shave that my husband has decided is pretty fantastic. It creates a friction-free shave so the razor isn't pulling the hairs and smells nice.  Also has some skin boosting ingredients...good for those men who refuse to use moisturizer, right?  (And yes, I use my husband as a test subject for men's products) $16


15. Urban Decay Eye Shadow Primer Potion
Last, but certainly not least, eye primer has become a must-have for anyone who wears eye makeup. I gave my sister some for Christmas, and these are her words to me: "You weren't kidding about that Urban Decay eye primer. I used it last night for my NYE eye makeup, and it looked like I had just put it on when I woke up this morning! Sparkly eyes first thing in the morning. And yes, I went to bed with my makeup on. It was NYE. Sue me."  That says is all, right? $20, and the small tube will last a long time. 


There we have it.  2015. Fifteen product reviews.  Any favorites here, ladies (and gents)?

J.





No comments:

Post a Comment